D12: 12mm Thin Double Glazing
At just 12mm thick, D12 offers an ultra-slim solution for replacement windows on period properties. Popular with many planning authorities, Histoglass Thin Double Glazing is ideal even for listed buildings.
D12 offers superb aesthetics, astonishing durability, and significant acoustic and thermal insulation properties. It meets all 6 parts of the BS EN 1279 standard, and is covered by a 7-year manufacturer’s warranty. Read more about the benefits of Histoglass Thin Double Glazing.
Histoglass D12 replacement double glazing will cut energy loss by around 67% when compared to single glazing:
|Cavity/spacer bar||6mm (gas-filled)|
Review our technical documents relating to Thin Double Glazing. Please note that having your glass toughened will slightly increase thickness.
- The inner (interior) pane is always float glass with a low-emissivity coating.
- The outer (exterior) pane can be chosen from float glass or any of our historic glass types
- Both inner and outer panes can be specified as toughened and laminated glass, depending on the glass type.
- Toughened glass is always 4mm thick, so it will affect your unit’s dimensions.
Maximum pane sizes
Note that the maximum size for any pane made from cylinder glass is 800x800mm.
- In existing frames, the rebate should be at least 20mm wide and 9mm deep
- On new frames, the ideal rebate is 20.5mm and the width of the glazing bar should be 24mm
- See D12’s optimal dimensions
- For clearance, we recommend 1.5mm on all 4 sides (so 3mm in both the width and height)
- Create an additional seal by allowing the paint to overlap onto the glass by 1-2mm.
Specification & installation
- We recommend using putty to obtain the look of single-glazed units. We supply a specially developed, non-linseed-based sealant and putty to guarantee the highest possible quality.
- The aluminium profile comes in white or black as standard. Other RAL colours can be supplied on request for an additional charge.
D12 still not suitable?
For technical and planning reasons, some windows just can’t be fitted with Histoglass Thin Double Glazing. That’s the time to consider our MONO single-glazing system. MONO delivers substantial thermal and acoustic insulation benefits, and comes in a range of period glass types to suit your period property.