Table of options: Thin Double Glazing
The table below will help you to choose the right replacement glazing for your period property, according to the size of your rebates and your planning requirements.
We offer 4 standard Thin Double Glazing products, each prefixed with ‘D’. These are D10, D11, D12 and D13. The number after the D refers to the thickness of the standard build-up for the unit (although this may vary; for example, if you choose to have toughened glass).
- The wider the cavity, the better the thermal insulation (ie D12 and D13)
- Some models have different thicknesses for the inner and outer panes, offering better acoustic properties (ie D11 and D13).
Beneath the table, you’ll also find our guidance on choosing your glass, spacer-bar colours and putty.
Thin Double Glazing
Spacer bar thickness
Rebate size required
(all inner panes; outer panes if selected)
|Historic glass types available**
(for outer panes only)
* Toughened or laminated glass can be heavier.
** not available in toughened
- Choose the glass types you want for the outer panes on each unit. Outer (external) panes can be any type of glass, including period glass.
- All inner panes are made of float glass, and come with a microscopically thin ‘low-E’ (low-emissivity) coating, reducing radiant heat loss. This is a soft coat and always faces the cavity, never the room.
- Any float glass, whether as an outer or inner pane, can be toughened or laminated to order. Toughened glass breaks into small, safe pieces; laminated glass will shatter, but won’t break up (think car windscreens).
- Historic glass types cannot be toughened.
- Float glass can be clear or obscured for privacy purposes.
Please note that toughened glass may affect your unit’s profile. Toughened glass is generally 4mm (not 3mm), so a D10 system with toughened inner and outer panes becomes 4-4-4 (12mm overall) rather than the usual 3-4-3 (10mm overall). For larger projects, we can supply 3mm toughened glass at an additional cost.
The aluminium profile is supplied as standard in either black or white. However, to match your window frames, we can supply other RAL colours on request for an additional charge.
A word about putty
Using putty will help you get the look of single-glazed units. Please ask about our high-quality non-linseed-based sealant and putty.
Thin Double Glazing not possible?
If Thin Double Glazing can’t be fitted to your windows for whatever reason, our MONO single-glazing range comes in a variety of authentic period glass types and delivers remarkable thermal and acoustic insulation benefits.