HD11: 11mm Thin Double Glazing
Want the benefits of double glazing for a period property, but constrained by aesthetics and planning requirements? Histoglass HD11 Thin Double Glazing, at just 11mm thick, is our most popular solution.
HD11 delivers all the advantages of double glazing for historic properties – even Grade-I and Grade-II listed buildings. It conforms to all parts of BS EN 1279, and comes with a 7-year manufacturer’s warranty. Read more about the benefits of Histoglass Thin Double Glazing.
Replacing the original single glazing with Histoglass HD11 will achieve a reduction in energy loss of approximately 67%:
|3 or 4 mm Low-E float
|3 or 4 mm
|– 34dB (with test certificate)
– non-acoustic at around 28dB
Review our technical documents relating to Thin Double Glazing. Please note that having your glass toughened will slightly increase thickness and may, therefore, not be 10mm overall anymore and become HD10/11.
Maximum pane sizes
Square 900x900mm (approx)
Rectangular 700x1100mm (approx)
Except that the maximum size for any pane made from cylinder glass is 800x800mm.
- The inner (interior) pane is always float glass with a low-emissivity coating
- The outer (exterior) pane can be chosen from float glass or any of our historic glass types
- Both inner and outer panes can be specified as toughened and laminated glass, depending on the glass type.
- Toughened glass is always 4mm thick, which may affect your unit’s thickness.
- For new frames, the optimal depth of the rebate is 20 mm and the overall width of the glazing bar should be 24mm
- See HD11’s optimal dimensions.
- For clearance, we recommend 1.5mm on all 4 sides (so 3mm in both the width and height)
- Create an additional seal by allowing the paint to overlap onto the glass by 1-2mm.
Specification & installation
- To maintain our 7-year warranty, we supply Kawo Elastokitt bedding compound with all our glazing orders. Whilst this can also be used as a putty finish, we recommend linseed putty / glazing bead to achieve a more traditional look and feel.
- Within the thin double glazing units, the aluminium spacer bar is supplied as standard in either black or white. However, to match your window frames, we can supply other RAL colours on request for an additional charge.
HD11 still not suitable?
If your window can’t take Histoglass Thin Double Glazing, our MONO single-glazing system offers major advantages compared to the original single pane. MONO comes in a range of authentically made period glass types, delivering real thermal and acoustic insulation benefits.